We got it down to bare wood & we did not want the angels to get splinters (contractors used L~O~W grade wood) so my husband thought to get some rubber to make it softer for the angels, that's the black you see.
As much as I loved the idea of using the black rubber as treads it was kind of difficult to realize the depth of each step but my husband came up with a GREAT idea. A few weeks ago I stopped at an estate sale where I bought these silver letters & numbers so he asked for them to add to each step~letters go down!
Numbers to go up! It worked like a charm, the angels move up & down the stairs with their normal ease all thanks to daddy.
This is step 1 (no pun intended) stay tuned for more steps ~ha ha I did it again!
Thank You & Many Blessings~